woensdag 10 juni 2009

Orwell: Such, such were the joys

Orwell, Such, Such Were the Joys


"Such, Such Were the Joys" is a long autobiographical essay by English writer George Orwell, written in the 1940's, but not published until 1952, after the author's death. It tells a story based on Orwell's experiences, between the ages of eight and thirteen in the years before and during World War I, at St Cyprian's preparatory school for boys in Eastbourne, Sussex.



George Orwell: Such, Such Were The Joys
on-line

"Soon after I arrived at St Cyprian's (not immediately, but after a week or two, just when I seemed to be settling into the routine of school
life) I began wetting my bed. I was now aged eight, so that this was a reversion to a habit which I must have grown out of at least four years earlier. Nowadays, I believe, bed-wetting in such circumstances is taken for granted. It is normal reaction in children who have been removed from their homes to a strange place".

Geen opmerkingen: